We need a People's Bailout to get through the crisis
A Philly People's Bailout
Work: Paid sick leave, expanded unemployment, and safety precautions
Rent & Utilities: Moratorium on evictions and utility shutoffs
Healthcare: Availability and accessibility of essential care
- Direct mass production of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for healthcare workers and all essential workers.
- Direct immediate production of testing kits so that all PA residents, regardless of migratory status or income, can be tested for the virus.
- Use your power of eminent domain to reopen closed hospitals.
- Bring all private hospitals and healthcare facilities under public control for the duration of the crisis.
Food, Transportation & Information: Widespread communication, food distribution, and basic needs
Housing: Rent and mortgage relief and protected housing
Education: Student digital access and school cleanups
Internet Access and Technology: Close the digital divide
Elder Care: Provide key services and information
Jails and ICE: Free our people from detention
Discrimination and Violence: Condemn Anti-Asian racism
Land and Environment: Stop sheriff sales, support farming, & regulate air pollution
- Fix the broken EOI system
- Give ownership of land to organizations who are currently growing food on land - such as One Art Community Center, Urban Tree Connection, and Urban Creators - who have been feeding their communities for over a decade and must become land secure in order to continue doing so
- Support community-led Community Land Trust trainings and initiatives.- Immediate support of farming infrastructure for the growing season including but not limited to funding for seeds, personnel, refrigeration, irrigation, and the improvement in accessibility of our spaces to be ADA compliant.
- Prioritize hygienic equipment & infrastructure such as washing stations, water access, tool sanitation, and PPE for safe harvesting, packaging, and distribution.- Air Management Services (AMS) to enforce air pollution regulations to the agency’s fullest power, obtaining additional funding from the City government if needed during this time. AMS should hold a virtual public meeting to communicate about its work during COVID-19, given the connection between pollution and vulnerability to the virus.
Harm Reduction: Support for services, housing, and income
Arts & Culture: Fund small arts organizations, arts education for youth
Community-based arts organizations are essential to the health, safety, and well-being of our communities. Through our direct relationships with communities we promote social-emotional empowerment, safe spaces for vulnerable populations, community building, the preservation of cultural traditions & identities, self-advocacy & civic engagement, professional development and the creative economy. The arts help us make sense of the world, connect to collective memory, solutionize our future, and have a positive impact on health, schooling, personal security and economic revitalization - with lower income neighborhoods demonstrating the strongest relationships between culture and social well being.
Voting: Ensure equal access to mail-in ballots
The Philly People's Bailout was developed by members of the Alliance for a Just Philadelphia. We came together because we know our issues are connected. Our fates are tied. We need solutions that work for the greater good of everyone.